Ashley Roughton (call: 1992; Inner Temple)
This is my website and I created it myself; the consequence of this is that although it is fairly rudimentary it is also hopefully down to earth and tells you what you need to know. Email me by all means if you want to know more or test a proposition. In a bit more detail: I am an intellectual property barrister with degrees in engineering, competition economics, chemistry and biochemistry specialising in patents, designs, trade marks, copyright and data protection. I am available to do all kinds of IP, DP and work of a technical nature (including crime) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as the Republic of Ireland (hence the .eu designation). I can accept instructions from members of the public and representatives from other licensed bodies. I can continue to advise and represent on European related issues after Brexit.
Scroll down for a full description of my practice and a copy of my CV, details of how to contact me, to see what I have been doing (more and less) recently and, if you are interested, to see my qualifications; B.Sc (Eng)(Hons)(Lond), Ph.D (Cantab), Dipl. Law (PCL), BL (NI), BL (KI), M.Sc (Econ)(City), B.Sc (Open)(Hons)(Mol Sci), M.Sc (Biochem)(Lond) (I make it 83 letters, though I am not sure that BL (NI) or BL (KI) really count). My regulator, the Bar Standards Board, requires me to make certain statements to give you an idea of the sorts of things you can expect from me. I have put those statements at the end of this page.
I can interact by email and the various forms of communication which people use during the lockdown.
My academic thesis and dissertations are at the bottom of this page. Also, if you are interested, I have written a few academic and professional journal papers; these are listed in my CV.
Intellectual property: patents (mechanical, chemical and biotechnological - gene splicing and manipulation, lipids and immunology), trade marks (both registered and passing off), breach of confidence and misuse of private information and restraint of trade, competition generally and also involving either a technical element or intellectual property, copyright (media, entertainment, industrial designs and fashion), licensing of all types, crime (prosecuting and defending section 107 (piracy), 92 (counterfeiting) and 297 (bootlegging) matters as well as consumer protection matters) and matters with a technical content, registered and unregistered designs, semiconductor topographies and border and customs controls.
Intellectual property aspects of European law and competition (including FRAND).
Medicines control and clinical trials (applications, licensing and criminal aspects).
Data protection: both criminal and civil (in court and before the Information Commissioner and Information Tribunal), data subject and data controller issues, private investigator and dustbin delving issues (including questions relating to solicitors and insurers instructing private investigators and maintaining fraud or fraud detection databases). I am on the exam board for PDP training’s practitioner certificate in Data Protection and the editorial board.
Sale of goods and commercial agency questions.
Computer related: crime, IT contracts (performance, drafting and enforcement), computer misuse and data protection. I have advised in relation to and have both prosecuted and defended a variety of computer related criminal actions brought at the behest of a number of organisations including the CPS, the Business Software Alliance, The Federation Against Software Theft and the Serious Fraud Office. Data centre power & performance disputes and back office settlement issues.
Distributed Ledger Systems: both technical and contractual. ASIC and network patents, smart contracts and search warrants against wallet providers (and associated money laundering issues). Mining and pool disputes.
As at January 2021
Now, recently and some time ago:
Right now or immediate past: Advising in relation to pharma production patent owned by academic spin-off company in relation to an entitlement, anticipation and obviousness attack concerning pharma production technologies. Advising and Representing client in trade mark opposition involving 5(3) and 5(4)(a) - similar/similar. Advising and representing client in a multinational entitlement and misuse of confidential information dispute - arising where the confidant has obtained a patent, possibly in breach of a non disclosure and information exploitation contract or where they are not the inventor. Acting in my capacity as an EU lawyer, advising on trade mark opposition where the only prior right was a case in passing off in the UK and an unfair trade or consumer protection case in a number of member states in the EU - Brexit issues loom large as the opposition was filed in mid December 2020, before the end of the transition period. Advising in relation to mechanical patent infringement and obviousness attack. Advising in relation to a large scale trade mark licencing and exploitation agreement (both over the counter and web sales). Advising and representing a client facing an allegation of computer misuse with an allegation of copyright infringement going the other way. Advising on trade mark opposition where the only prior right was a case in passing off. Advising and representing in relation to infringement of π3-kinase p110α inhibitor patent (including compound and treatment claims) by peptidomimetic means. Advising on AI computer programme (I meant to spell it that way) patent and software licencing for updating medical trauma nomenclature. Advising and representing in relation to a descriptive like mark clash.
Recent past: Advising on (non-Covid-19) disease management rollout and IP strategy. Advised on criminal money laundering in a counterfeiting context relating to open air markets. Advising and representing on large scale counterfeiting including money laundering. Advising and representing in relation to database right and copyright in database in spare-part catalogues. Advising and representing various patent applicants in relation to cross-licencing conflicts relating to Covid-19 vaccine methodologies and delivery systems.
More distant past: Advising and representing a software developer in proceedings regarding entitlement and copyright ownership. Advised on large scale famous trade mark franchise. Advised on IT purchasing dispute. Advised in relation to patent entitlement for a potential proprietor, concerning RNA self amplification and lipid transport vesicles in a Covid-19 vaccination context. Advised data subjects on aggregator and right to be forgotten questions in politically exposed person databases and credit databases. Acting in my capacity as an EU lawyer, advised and represented client on the registrability of a descriptive like mark in the Republic of Ireland (case fought and won). Litigation advice to various players, observers and interested parties in CRISPR/Cas 9 wars and gene drive. Litigation advice to intending claimant in mechanical patent case with parallel US proceedings. Represented estate of famous sculptor in recovering loaned sculptures from storage premises across the world after gallery owner became insolvent and engaging the law of copyright in multiple jurisdictions to do so.
Leaving soon: Advised on data centre issues concerning emergency power supply provision.
Take a look at my Qualifications:
- Mechanical Engineering - B.Sc (Eng) (Hons) (Lond) – 2:1.
- Engineering - Ph.D (Cantab).
- Law - Dipl.Law (PCL) - pass.
- Law - Bar Finals - competent.
- Law - Barrister-at-Law (Northern Ireland).
- Law - Barrister-at-Law (Republic of Ireland).
- Economics of Regulation and Competition - M.Sc (Econ) (City) - pass.
- Chemistry - B.Sc (Open) (Hons) (Mol Sci) - 2:1 (specialisms: Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Biology).
- Biochemistry - M.Sc (Biochem) (Lond) - distinction.
Below are PDF downloadables of my dissertations:
Things you should know
● Professionals, those with licensed access or lay clients (as appropriate) may contact me to obtain a quotation for legal services
● My contact details are set out above
● My chambers are the Chambers of Ashley Roughton; I work on both fixed fee and hourly rate depending upon what is discussed and negotiated
● I commonly provide legal services (both representation, advocacy and paperwork) in relation to commercial, chancery and criminal law with an emphasis on intellectual property and data; further, specific details are given above
● The factors which might influence the timescales of delivery are other work and the quantity and intensity of work required; vacations may occasionally be a factor
● I am regulated by the Bar Standards Board and equivalent regulators in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
● In relation to my English, Welsh and Northern Irish practice you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman if you regard my service as unsatisfactory; you will find details of how to do this on the ombudsman’s website (legalombudsman.org.uk); you must complain within 12 months; In all cases (English, Welsh, Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland) I would suggest that you try to resolve your complaint with me first; I will consider your complaint seriously and objectively (which will include a discussion, mediation or arbitration, as we may agree); if I agree with you then I will remit fees (in whole or in part), apologise or pay you damages or abide by any arbitral award; if you wish you can take the matter up with the bar standards board (bsb.org) or corresponding other regulators at any time and according to their rules; unless we agree not to, then none of this affects any right you may have to raise the matter in legal proceedings
● My regulator requires me to make complicated statements about gender, race and so on; I will deal with you in matters within my expertise on the basis of what legal issues present themselves to you and how best they may be dealt with, without regard (unless relevant) to who or what you are, what you have or are alleged to have done or omitted to do, what type of problem you would like help with (though the scope of my assistance might be limited if your problem or question is outside my area of expertise), what you believe or represent or the manner in which you present yourself either in public or private; this statement applies both to clients and any other I associate with